Friday, November 5, 2010

Mom! I Have Saved up my Money and Will Pay for Myself!


Okay, I've heard this one a few times. Usually the context is something that they wouldn't be allowed anyway. Happy Meals, Latte's for a six year old, certain video games, entrance to an amusement park on their own.


Little do my children know that the money they earn from me is recycled when spent. The little ones give their money to me, I help them make change and count everything out. Then, when they aren't looking, I put it in a jar from which future payments will be made.


The older ones do make their own purchases, handing carefully counted bill and coin to a cashier. Their heads and shoulders held high, smiles on their faces.


One child has recently learned that it might be best to save for a future purchase rather than spend for the sake of spending. I sure hope they all learn that lesson at a very early age. Perhaps one of them will one day sit in the Senate, or become President, and put our money jar lessons to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment